Optimizing Copy on a SaaS Homepage to Drive More Demos
When Aurelius founder, Zack Naylor, reached out to us, we knew his product was exciting. As conversion copywriters, we’re qualitative researchers. And Aurelius is designed to make qualitative research – messy as it usually is – easier to handle.
Zack wanted a homepage rewrite. His existing homepage copy was very good showing and telling how the tool works. But my goal was to discover the unique selling proposition of Aurelius and bring that into the copy.
By going through the voice-of-customer research process, we uncovered a number of insights. Those insights were the basis for a theory of what would convert.
On any page, your first goal is to match the visitor’s awareness… which is what makes homepage copy so difficult because it’s a catch-all page for visitors of all kinds.
We reasoned that the typical visitor is likely problem-aware or solution-aware. They may be hunting for tools out there for qualitative research for not sure how these tools will help or which tools are best.
In either case, we needed to make the argument for Aurelius over other tools clear and powerful.
We also theorized that UX researchers want their work to have influence. That’s the appeal to emotion throughout this page.
Here’s how we pulled insights plus voice-of-customer”swipes” into the new homepage copy:
- The problem for UX researchers is showing what their work means for business decisions – fast. And so we brought that into the headline.
- The subheadline then positions Aurelius in the category – but at an advantage. It’s not just a research repository – it’s more powerful and it’s an insights platform.
- In the next section, we empathize with why other solutions aren’t working… and there are a range of ways researchers are trying to solve this problem.
- Then we shift into what the actual solution is: A research and insights platform that’s robust enough to handle their process – but simple, so it doesn’t slow them down.
- Next up, there’s the value proposition again: Aurelius is the more streamlined, more powerful tool designed by researchers, for researchers.
- Ok, but then how do we back up that claim? With a handful of bullets telling them what they can do and why it matters.
- Then, once again, we compare Aurelius with other tools: Other tools let you store research. Aurelius lets you organize and share synthesized findings to drive better business decisions. It’s the missing link between research and action.
- And we bring in risk-of-missing out copy: Because research only matters if you can make it meaningful on the spot.
- Ok, but what about pricing? We brought Aurelius’ pricing advantage into the copy near the close.
- And then we wrap up with closer-type testimonials.
And as an aside, we used the Aurelius tool for the research and insights aspect of this copywriting project. It was a huge improvement on spreadsheets and now we’re paid users – it’s a part of our conversion research process.
Your homepage is one of the most important pieces of copy to optimize. And it can be one of the fastest, highest-impact optimization projects possible.
Want to talk to us about optimizing your homepage copy?